It is recommended to perform the Remote Software Upgrade at your home. Park the vehicle outside on a flat surface with a clear view of the sky, avoiding trees or other obstructions. The Vehicle cannot be used for approximately 20 minutes during installation of the Remote Software Upgrade. In the unlikely event that you experience issues, the vehicle may not be driven. A BMW Roadside Assistance representative may be able to solve the issue remotely or help to transport your vehicle to the nearest BMW Service Center, , call: 1-800-267-8BMW (8269).
- Please remove all OBD diagnostic devices (trip books, GPS trackers) you use when starting and during the upgrade.
- Reloading the ConnectedDrive apps after the upgrade can take some time.
- Only leave and lock your car once the countdown for the upgrade is completed.
- Some settings may be reset to default after the upgrade (for example, Remote Engine Start, Connected Music or notification settings), and need to be re-activated.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION for iOS Users:
- When transferring the upgrade using your smartphone, please connect via the Bluetooth & WiFi connection in the vehicle and the “Mobile devices” menu. If the Bluetooth and/or WiFi icon appears greyed out, please first activate Apps & Bluetooth Audio in the settings in the submenu of “Mobile devices”.
IMPORTANT NOTE for M vehicles:
- The installation prompt for the Remote Software Upgrade can only be displayed approx. 30-60 minutes after engine switch-off because the engine needs to cool down. The prompt is displayed before engine start. The next time you enter your vehicle, please perform the installation before starting the engine and wait until the installation prompt is displayed.
IMPORTANT NOTE for Users of BMW Drive Recorder:
- The initial settings will be reset, and recorded videos deleted after the upgrade. Please download videos you would like to keep prior to beginning the upgrade.