THE HIGHLIGHTS OF BMW REMOTE SOFTWARE UPGRADE 21–07.
LOOK FORWARD TO THE FOLLOWING IMPROVEMENTS.
FUNCTIONS AND FUNCTIONAL ENHANCEMENTS:
- M Sound Control: A unique sound experience for your BMW M3 and M4
- BMW Maps: Enhanced ARTTI
- Lane Departure Warning: Optimization on narrow roads without a center marking
- Lane Departure Warning: Optimization in curves
- SiriusXM: Pandora Artist Stationspodcasts
- Connected Music with Spotify®: Now includes podcasts
- Enhanced key detection: Improved driver profile recognition
- Enhanced volume control with Android phones
- M Track Mode: Pure racing feeling for your BMW
- BMW 5 Series Programming control units (DME)
- Better detection of a key in the trunk
- Functional updates and improved quality
- Applicability of the Remote Software Upgrade and release notes
- Information about previous versions
- Updating the on-board Owner’s Manual in the vehicle
- Special information about this upgrade
- Specific information for hybrid vehicles
- Use of the My BMW App for data transfer
FUNCTIONS AND FUNCTIONAL ENHANCEMENTS:
M SOUND CONTROL.
A unique sound experience for your BMW M3 and M4.
Experience a refined sound when starting the engine and clearer audio confirmation when shifting gears (only in conjunction with 8-speed M Steptronic). The sound characteristics can be individually configured using the engine settings Efficient / Sport / Sport Plus. A quieter drive mode can be selected with the Sound Control Button.
Advanced Real Time Traffic Information (ARTTI) from BMW Maps now also processes data from congestion on ramps and thus provides optimized routing and a more accurate prediction of your arrival time.
LANE DEPARTURE WARNING.
Optimization on narrow roads without a center marking
Sophisticated detection logic alerts your vehicle when on narrow roads without a center marking and deliberately suppresses steering intervention.
Drivers should continue to use caution, assess visibility, assess traffic conditions and intervene when needed. Adjust driving style to traffic conditions.
Optimization in curves
If the BMW Driving Assistant Professional is set to ‘Reduced’ mode, the Lane Departure Warning system will detect when you are driving close to a lane marking within a curve and will not initiate a steering intervention.
CONNECTED MUSIC WITH SPOTIFY®.
Now includes podcasts.
Listen to your favourite podcasts or the Daily Drive playlist in Connected Music with Spotify®. To do so, log in to your Spotify® Premium account. You can also control the podcasts in your vehicle using Spotify® Connect on your smartphone.
Following this update, BMW Connected Music will automatically activate this new functionality in Spotify®.
ENHANCED KEY DETECTION.
Improved driver profile recognition.
Vehicle key detection is improved, for example, when it is in a bag in the rear seats. If you linked the key to your driver profile, you will be signed in automatically when the key is detected.
ENHANCED VOLUME CONTROL WITH ANDROID PHONES.
This enhancement simplifies volume control in the vehicle when playing an audio stream (e.g. music, podcasts, etc.) via an Android™ smartphone connected by Bluetooth®. After the upgrade, the volume on your smartphone will automatically be set at 100% when the device is connected via Bluetooth®.
M TRACK MODE.
Pure racing feeling for your BMW.
With M Track Mode, you can get closer than ever to that purist racing feeling. Activate M Track Mode by pressing and holding the M Mode button. This deactivates all comfort and safety systems, and the sound and navigation systems are also switched off. As an ambitious race track driver, you can then concentrate on what really counts: Your BMW and the race track.
BMW 5 SERIES LCI xDRIVE PROGRAMMING CONTROL UNITS (DME).
With some MY2021 and MY2022 BMW 5 Series LCI xDrive, a software issue may cause faulty communication between the corresponding control units of the chassis and the drivetrain in your vehicle. This may prevent the vehicle from achieving the published acceleration “0 to 100 km/h” time. Programming the control units (DME) will correct the faulty communication between the relevant control units of the chassis and drivetrain.
Please note: After the software fix, actual acceleration results still may vary, depending on specification of vehicle; road and environmental conditions; testing procedures and driving style. These results should be used for comparison only and verification should not be attempted on public roads. BMW urges you to obey all posted speed laws and always wear safety belts.
QUALITY MEASURE: BETTER DETECTION OF A KEY IN THE TRUNK.
With this upgrade the vehicle will detect the position of the key in the trunk and prevent unintentional locking.
FUNCTIONAL UPDATES AND IMPROVED QUALITY.
This Remote Software Upgrade updates existing functions for equipped vehicles and includes quality enhancements.
Applicability of the Remote Software Upgrade and Release Notes
The new functions and functional enhancements of this upgrade are only applicable if your vehicle is equipped with the necessary equipment. Contact your Authorized BMW Retailer or the BMW ConnectedDrive hotline for information about your vehicle’s equipment specifications. Please also refer to your vehicle’s Integrated Operating Instructions or Owner’s Manual for function use requirements and limitations.
Information about previous versions
You can find information about all the previous versions of the remote software upgrade in the ConnectedDrive customer portal.
Updating the on-board Owner’s Manual in the vehicle
With this Remote Software Upgrade, the on-board Owner’s Manual in the vehicle is updated to include up-to-date information.
SPECIAL INFORMATION ABOUT THIS UPGRADE.
It is recommended to perform the Remote Software Upgrade at your home. Park the vehicle outside on a flat surface with a clear view of the sky, avoiding trees or other obstructions. The Vehicle cannot be used for approximately 20 minutes during installation of the Remote Software Upgrade. In the unlikely event that you experience issues, the vehicle may not be driven. A BMW Roadside Assistance representative may be able to solve the issue remotely or help to transport your vehicle to the nearest BMW Service Center, , call: 1-800-267-8BMW (8269).
- Please remove all OBD diagnostic devices (trip books, GPS trackers) you use when starting and during the upgrade.
- Reloading the ConnectedDrive apps after the upgrade can take some time.
- Only leave and lock your car once the countdown for the upgrade is completed.
- Some settings may be reset to default after the upgrade (for example, Remote Engine Start, Connected Music or notification settings), and need to be re-activated.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION for iOS Users:
- When transferring the upgrade using your smartphone, please connect via the Bluetooth & WiFi connection in the vehicle and the “Mobile devices” menu. If the Bluetooth and/or WiFi icon appears greyed out, please first activate Apps & Bluetooth Audio in the settings in the submenu of “Mobile devices”.
IMPORTANT NOTE for M vehicles:
- The installation prompt for the Remote Software Upgrade can only be displayed approx. 30-60 minutes after engine switch-off because the engine needs to cool down. The prompt is displayed before engine start. The next time you enter your vehicle, please perform the installation before starting the engine and wait until the installation prompt is displayed.
IMPORTANT NOTE for Users of BMW Drive Recorder:
- The initial settings will be reset, and recorded videos deleted after the upgrade. Please download videos you would like to keep prior to beginning the upgrade.
SPECIFIC INFORMATION FOR HYBRID VEHICLES.
- If you perform the Remote Software Upgrade during charging, the charging process will be interrupted and not automatically continued.
- Charging and climate control settings can be reset after the Remote Software Upgrade (e.g. charging settings to 6A instead of 16A). Once you have completed the upgrade, re-set your preferences in the relevant menus under Settings.
USE OF THE MY BMW APP FOR DATA TRANSFER.
NOTE: You can find out how to use the My BMW App for data transfer on YouTube.
BMW CONNECTED DRIVE: FURTHER INFORMATION & LINKS.
We look forward to receiving your feedback on the BMW ConnectedDrive hotline, to help us continually optimize our remote software upgrade.
Features and equipment may vary in Canada. Available apps and services are subject to change, may vary by location or other factors. May require additional services, plans, subscriptions and vehicle options, and may only be operable in conjunction with certain smartphones and operating systems (smartphone not provided). Not all apps or services may be available for all BMW Models.